The Construction Development Corporation Limited (CDCL) has its genesis in the erstwhile Mechanical Division of the roads department under Ministry of Works and Human Settlement (MoWHS). On July 1, 2006, it was delinked from the ministry to function as a self-sustaining commercial unit. Three years later, on December 7, 2009, CDCL was incorporated under the Companies Act of the Kingdom of Bhutan, 2000. Thereon, it became a full-fledged state-owned enterprise. A major shift in the company came when, after five years of operations as a state-owned enterprise, it joined the many companies under Druk Holding and Investments (DHI) in January 2015 to become a part of the country’s investment arm.
With the change in ownership, CDCL was required to amend its registration and Articles of Incorporation (AoI) under the Companies Act. The company’s board and the management felt the need to review the existing Corporate Strategic Plan (2014-2018) to assess and ensure its conformity to the new AoI. It was then decided that the CSP be redone using the Balanced Scorecard (BSC) method as detailed in the subsequent sections of this document.
In the Last Decade -
The vision illustrates what the CDCL should look like when it reaches its destination. Our vision statement for 2030 is as under:
“To be the premier engineering and construction company that meaningfully engages national workforce, astutely contributes to the socio-economic development of the nation with the highest ethical standards, and compete in the international arena.”
Take the lead role in construction and engineering services with quality, timeliness and cost efficiency to contribute to the socio-economic growth of the country.
Enhance human resource capacity by developing and promoting a committed and motivated professionals.
Set benchmarks by maintaining the highest level of safety and ethical standards in the construction industry.
Build CDCL as the brand image for Engineering, Construction and Project management.
The mandates of the company are as follows:
(1) CONSTRUCTION OF PROJECTS
- Design, build, operate and maintain water supply and sewerage system;
- All hydropower components including head race tunnels, dams, powerhouses, etc.
- Power transmission lines and substations & ancillaries;
- Roads, bridges, buildings, road tunnels;
- Landfill & recycling of waste; and
- Slope stabilization works;
(2) CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT
- Development of specialized groups for building components such as plumbing, tiling, masonry, RCC, electrical, HVAC, glazing, formwork, etc.
- Building human resource capacity in terms of technical construction skills and competencies through training and collaboration; and
- Facilitating gainful employment of youth through imparting skills, trainings and internships.
(3) CONSULTING SERVICES
- Design & drawings;
- Project management consultancy (PMC); and
- Project implementation consultancy (PIC).
(4) HIRING OF EQUIPMENT
- Hiring of construction equipment; and
- Providing repair and maintenance services including supply of spare parts.
(5) RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
- To carry out research and development in construction field.
- Maintenance of roads and infrastructures;
- Manufacture of ancillary products and provide services as may be required in support of the construction industry.
Core values establish what the company believes in and the kind of behavior it wants to reinforce. Values create a moral compass that forms the basis for decision-making and influencing actions in every-day situations.
E - Excellence
The focus to strive for the highest possible standards while conducting business, in terms of cost effectiveness, quality and timeliness of work.
The belief that every employee is a leader and remains focused and motivated for work.
I - Integrity
The resolve to do the right thing for the company, for one’s colleagues and stakeholders even when no one is looking.
T - Teamwork
The spirit and enthusiasm to work collectively across all levels and partners, building strong relationships based on mutual respect, understanding and cooperation.
E - Entrepreneurship
The passion for seeking constant improvement and calculated risk taking to capitalize on opportunities that help the company achieve its objectives.
S - Safety
The belief in the safety of its employees, partners and the general public.